What is mold?
We regularly come into contact with mold – and not just became of food. Mold can have a catastrophic impact on the home. Leaves decay and pieces of wood lying on the ground rot because of fungi. That musty odor that we detect in our basements is caused by mold. Molds are fungi, groups of microscopic organisms. Molds are highly adapted to grow rapidly, producing microscopic spores and mycelia during the reproducing process.
Some fungi are very useful, though, such as the mold that produces the antibiotic penicillin. However, most molds cause damage and can come with significant negative health effects, such as allergies. At 1st Response Restores, we have helped clients throughout Las Vegas with mold removal. Our mold removal services include the very latest removal techniques, helping to restore the health, structural integrity and vitality of your home. Below, though, we explore in more detail how mold grows in the home and why it remains a consistent danger.
Mold growth in the home
Molds require high moisture levels to reproduce. Higher than expected moisture levels in homes can be the result of ground water entering the home or from plumbing leaks. Another very large source of moisture is household activities such as showering and cooking. Moisture accumulates inside the home because of lack of ventilation.
Mold is a concern in homes due to the damage it can cause to building materials. Mold breaks down organic material, to the point where those materials break down. Also, when mold grows inside the home, it can cause health concerns to the occupants. These health effects can run the range to allergic reactions to major lung infections. The young and old are more susceptible to these mold health effects. Mold removal, then, remains an essential priority.
There are several ways to identify mold in your home. Discoloration is one of the most obvious signs. The appearance of mold can take many forms – from green and white to black, red or orange. In some cases, mold is hardly noticeable. A musty odor can indicate the presence of mold in the home.
Mold testing by a certified mold inspector will may confirm the presence of molds. At 1st Response Restores, we inspect your home for mold using the very latest accepted techniques. Mold testing also describes the types of mold present and the possibly toxicity of those fungi. If there are toxic fungi in the home, you need a professional remediation company to come and safely eliminate mold from your home.
There are some basic steps you can take to help reduce the possibility of mold growth in the home.
Mold needs moisture to grow. Taking steps to control moisture will go a long way in controlling a potential mold problem in the home. Determine whether high moisture levels are being produced in the home and take the required steps to vent bathrooms, dryers and the kitchen. Proper venting will significantly reduce the potential for mold growth in the home. Make sure that all sources of water leaks are quickly repaired. Any sources of water infiltration should be immediately corrected in order to avoid mold growth. Another good step to take is to purchase a hydrometer and measure how much moisture is in the air. Relative humidity should be kept under 50% in the winter months to avoid condensation forming inside the home.
Effects of mold growth
Mold can increase the symptoms of those who suffer from asthma and allergies. It can also cause shortness of breath, respiratory issues, burning eyes, irritation of the nose and throat, headaches and memory loss. Aged adults and young children are more susceptible to the effects of mold growth
Mold destroys homes and health, and is something that needs to be removed right away. Many people try to scrub it away with harsh chemicals, but it invariably returns. If you’ve tried to get rid of your mold issue, but haven’t had any success, contact a member of our Las Vegas mold removal services for more information.